Step Out Challenge – Organ Donation Week 2020

It’s organ donation week and this year we have the Step Out challenge. Nurses on average take between 7667-16,390 steps per day. The step out challenge asks Northamptonshire residents to walk 10,000+ steps daily to match the Northamptonshire nurses. Simply share your...

Lift Tower – Organ Donation Week 2020

It’s Organ Donation Week and to help raise awareness we are lighting up the lift tower Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evening from 7:30pm. Now is the perfect time to have a conversation with your loved ones and share your donation decision. We’d love to see your view...


Thank you to Moira and her sons who ran the Northampton Parkrun this Saturday wearing our #TeamIDo running vest. "We had such a lovely morning. The Parkrun is so friendly. Was definitely not the fastest of 5K's but was great to do it as a family." "As parents we've...

Santa Pod Raceway

MASSIVE THANK YOU to Santa Pod Raceway for choosing the I DOnate Campaign as the charity for their annual auction. This was a great way to help raise awareness of the charity to a huge audience.Santa Pod Raceway auctioned off lots of memorabilia and despite bad...

Cod I Do Love A Giggle

Congratulations to all involved with this years Comedy Night. 'Cod I DO Love a Giggle' was a roaring success! We had a huge turn out. Thank you to Cheyne Walk Club for always supporting our events such a great venue. Compere Dave, support act Diane Spencer, and the...

Wiggle Hawker Hurricane Sportive

Another fitness challenge conquered by the IDOnate team. This one was tough with cold winds. Great atmosphere as always and great to ride along so many people. Departing from Turweston Aerodrome, Brackley the Wiggle Hawker Hurricane was a cracking made up of rolling...

Behind the scenes – Organ Donation Video

Over the last few months we have had the privilege of interviewing amazing people across all aspects of the Organ Donation process. Here are some behind the scenes from our upcoming video about organ donation featuring Kristina Haggar who received a double lung...

Jane’s Story

In 1999 my mum had to have a liver transplant and as a family we always knew that the anti-liver rejections tablets would cause kidney damage and ultimately she would need a kidney transplant. In April 2016 mum’s kidney function deteriorated and it was then my parents...

Marathon runner raises £4562.17 for I DOnate Organ Donation Northampton

Brian Lydon, of Lydon Contracting Ltd, completed the Dublin City Marathon on October 30th 2016 in under 4 hours. Having just turned 40, he decided to set himself a challenge all in the name of the Cancer Research UK charity. As a big supporter of the I DOnate...

I DO cycle – The Roman Challenge Bike Event

A massive well done to our bike challenge competitors for completing a gruelling 8 mile course through the tough terrain of Salcey Forest. You did us proud, sporting the I DOnate t-shirts and headbands, helping to raise awareness. Great work team!

Mark’s Story

At 17 years old, I couldn’t understand why all my friends could go out, drink loads and not feel ill.  I only had to have a couple of pints and I would spend the whole evening being sick.  I even tried going out and drinking coke.  I was still sick.  I was thirsty though and couldn’t drink enough.

I had no intention of going to the doctors, however, my mother had very different thoughts.  Following a session of blood tests, I was told that I had blood cancer.  Pretty shocking at 17.

More, and more tests were undertaken and I had the good news that I only had renal failure.  My view of this was that I would take a couple of pills and be home and back to normal pretty quickly.  It came as a bit of a shock that I then spent the next 3 months in hospital while they tried to “kick start” my kidneys.    I had been left with one kidney that never grew and one kidney the size of a 5 year olds. 

The first time I saw the dialysis unit, I thought “thank god I haven’t got to do that”, but I did and I don’t think I have ever felt so ill as the first time I dialysed.  I came off the machine after about 5 hours – I was blind, being sick and had cramp and couldn’t walk. 

I became pretty accustomed to the routine of going backwards and forwards to Oxford 3 times a week.  Dealing with roadworks as they built the M40 and upgraded the A34.  Waiting for a machine to become free before I could use it.  4 hours on the machine  and then spend time cleaning it for the next person to use.  I was pretty lucky really, I was young and I got used to dialysis.  There were many older people than me who suffered each and every time they used the machine.

For someone who likes to eat well, the restrictive food was hard.  No chocolate, all fruit and vegetables were soaked in water for 24 hours to take all their goodness away.  The restriction of ½ pint of fluid a day, which included your gravy and sauce allowance was horrible.  Food was dry, tasteless and before every meal you had an aniseed medicine that spoilt the taste of everything anyway.

I wasn’t going to give up though, I still went out with my friends, and the local pub would serve me a drink in a sherry glass, so I could have a small drink while everyone else had their pints.  I carried a pager everywhere waiting for that call of a transplant.

Sometimes, friends and acquaintances, you would see every time you dialysed never came back, and you were told they had sadly passed.  Those days seemed like you spent 10 hours on the machine instead of 4.  I always said I would never complain.  I was still here.

After 11 months on dialysis.  I finally got the call.  I had a transplant.  My mum was in the shower, so I shouted up and told her I was going.  I couldn’t wait for her to get ready.  I drove myself to Oxford.    

Its not always easy after a transplant, I do get ill from time to time, there has been bouts of rejection which I have managed to get through, I have suffered from cancer in the tonsils and if I get an infection, it affects me more than it would other people.    I have to take a daily supply of drugs that suppress my immune system and keep my blood pressure regulated, but its worth it.

My transplant is 29 years old this year.  I met my wife 6 months after my transplant and we got married 6 years later.  We went on to have two lovely children Cameron who is now 18 and Abigail 15, along with numerous cats, and now dogs, along the way. 

I can only thank the family that decided to donate their loved ones organs on a difficult day.  The one thing that a transplant gives you is hope that you can have the same life as everyone else, because life goes on.  Every day I see myself as being one of the lucky ones.  I make sure that I live for today and look forward to the future.